April 14, 2010

ZlataThoughts on American Idol

Last night Adam Lambert served as the mentor for this season's American Idol contestants. I don't get it. Didn't Kris Allen win American Idol last year? Really, what's the point of winning American Idol if NOTHING good comes to your career (with the exception of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood) when you do? It's become fairly obvious that it's not really about winning the competition, but more about your presence.

Let's face it: this season blows. At first, I thought I wasn't into it because I had a lot of other things going on on my life and didn't have the time commitment that I did in previous seasons. I didn't watch the show religiously and, as mentioned in a previous post, knew nothing about the lives of particular contestants. I didn't have their "full picture" and was judging solely on singing ability. Normally, you have a few favorites early on based on their background story (well, at least that's the way it was for me in the past.) Well, most of these contestants are NOT.GOOD. In fact, I have no idea how some of them even made it this far!

Regardless of who wins, there are three people I see with persona and talent that will "make it" a la Adam Lambert regardless of victory status. Those three people are: Crystal Bowersox, Lee DeWyze and Katie Stevens. Everyone else is forgettable to me. Sure, I think Siobhan is original and different, but her personality is akin to Nicholas Cage in that they are both monotone human beings. Aaron Kelly needs to grow a few more pubic hairs before trying out again next year, because he's next to be kicked off. Andrew Garcia, you're NOT good. You only made it to Hollywood because the public misses Paula Abdul, you sang her song, subconsciously it was favored and there you have it. Casey James is hot - but in the Southern Bar Band kind of way. Michael Lynche shouldn't have been saved and Tim Urban's performance last night was great - but still not enough to make him unforgettable.

So again, it doesn't matter who wins - as was evident last night with the absence of Kris Allen - those with optimal talent and personality will win in the end.

Crystal Bowersox, Lee DeWyze and Katie Stevens. In that order. Write it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ThoughtZ!