Mojo Tofu Burgers
WHAT DO I NEED?
- 6 oz (about half a package) firm silken tofu, drained
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 1/2 cup cooked barley (can substitute brown rice)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, plus the zest of 1/2 large orange
- Juice from 1 lime, plus the zest
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat a non stick skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, pour oats into food processor and pulse until a chunky powder (about 10-15 seconds. Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Put tofu, 1 cup black beans, garlic clove, orange juice and zest, lime juice and zest, cumin, oregano, salt, olive oil and salt into food processor and pulse until chunky-smooth and combined, about 45 seconds total.
- Scoop tofu mixture into mixing bowl with oats. Add cooked barley (or rice) and 1/2 cup whole black beans. Gently fold ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Mixture should be thick and only slightly sticky.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Make burgers by gently pressing with hands, using 1/2 cup of mixture for each one.
- Cook on skillet, about 4 minutes per side or till golden brown. Keep spraying pan with non stick spray (may need to spray in between flips). Serve immediately.
- Makes 10 patties
Recipe brought to you by the Soy Food Council