March 22, 2009

The New Facebook

The following are Zlata's Thoughts on the new Facebook layout.

The Wall now shows all the recent information in the form of posts or stories. This constant sream of information, or "feed" is similar to that of Twitter (which I just into by the way.) The problem with this, for me, is the fact that not all of my feed is relevant, nor does it allow me to learn about and keep up with MY close friends. This is why I steered clear of the Old Facebook's "News Feed" tab. I liked everything broken up into various tabs (status updates, photos, etc.) so I can pick and choose what I wanted to see/read. Another thing about this feed is that people's photo albums are uploaded, but with each tag, comes a new feed, and before I know it, my entire homepage or "wall" is covered with vertical single photos from someone's album.

Though the concept of the Publisher, which enables you to publish all content - photos, notes, your status, quizzes, and so on - directly to your wall, is fabulous in theory, in actuality, it just creates a crazy clutterfilled experience.

An interesting new feature is giving you the option of toggling the size of what you post to promote or demote as you find necessary.

Now let's talk about this "What's on your mind?" bullshit. Dude, this isn't a forum for Frued vs. Kalt, ok? This is the section where you put in your STATUS UPDATE and don't you forget it. If anyone starts changing the automatic reflex of "YOUR NAME is..." I'll freak out! That being said, I always try and "one up" my last status update - since that's just the way I roll. Well, with this new layout, I'm unable to see my current status update unless I go to my page. What's up with that? I have short term memory loss and having to open my page for this purpose is just annoying.

Also, Facebook, your claim of "Real Time Stream" is just crap. I have to sit here and refresh my browser if I wanted to see what's new. Hey, remember the Old Facebook (that was perfectly fine the way it was?) Well, I reckon the "News Feed" tab was LIVE and auto-refreshed. Word.

Finally, and most importantly - whatever new "Script" the web developers are using, doesn't allow me to simply copy and paste status updates for my ever-so-popular blog. I now have to put in much more work than I care to discuss right now, and though annoying, I'll continue to do it. But, I'm not happy about it. Not.At.All.

1 comment:

  1. "I liked everything broken up into various tabs (status updates, photos, etc.) so I can pick and choose what I wanted to see/read."

    I do believe that things are still broken into selections (like tabs) but now there is no "news feed" or live feed of everything on f@ceb00k. The default is status updates and for the other tabs you can click on the options in the left. (photos, videos, links, and various other feed publishing applications)

    While they aren't really tabs, the same info is still there.... minus the news feed and live feed. I also think that a live feed is coming but facebook shouldn't have advertised it if they didn't plan to have it ready from the start.

    peace
    ~the evil moose

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your ThoughtZ!