June 11, 2009

Facebook & Screen Name Identities

Remember your first screen name from AOL? I was 15-years-old and clearly really creative, since I went with "ZF15." True Story. I decided later on to go with something a bit more kitschy - mix up a little Russian with a play on QQ's for the obvious reason - and landed on KQQKLA00 (the zeroes being for my year of HS graduation.)
Screen names generally became your new identity and soon enough for some, even a nickname. Being a very visual person, sometimes I would look at a person and not think of their name, but instead their screen name. Perhaps that weird, or perhaps you can relate. For example, when AIM was cool and I was on it 24/7 in collegeland - I would think of Marissa, but relate her to her screen name, Kahlua116. That's just the way it is.

What's the point of all this? Well, it's getting a bit ridiculous me thinks. You obviously create an identity with Twitter as well, more likely than not - by having a username that's not YOUR name. And now, well -- Facebook announces the same!



They are now planning to offer Facebook usernames to make it easier for people to find and connect with you. But wouldn't it be easier for people to find you by your NAME??? I mean, really Facebook? I get it - you'll have a unique URL now instead of some long number - great. But, that's like, annoying. I mean, do I go with my standard KQQKLA00 screenname?? Do I go with my ZlataThoughts Twitter name?? HOW ABOUT JUST MY REGULAR BIRTHNAME???

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ThoughtZ!