May 18, 2010

Ordering A Meal and Being “That Guy”

 

Whenever I go out to dinner with friends, colleagues or even professional business people, I have this habit of “needing” to know what everyone is going to order before I make my decision.  I’m not entirely sure why I do this, but it doesn’t ever really bother people (or so they haven’t voiced it). Anyway, that’s neither here nor there.  The POINT to this post is to call out the obvious, much like I always do. 

Have you ever noticed when you’re at these dinner functions where the bill is obviously going to be a) split or b) NOT paid for by you, yourself -  that one will NEVER order the most expensive thing on the menu for fear of being “that guy” ??

I’ve noticed this over the years of being in PR and having to go out for media or client dinners.  If you’re not forking over the bill, you don’t have the chutzpah to order the lobster or the surf n’ turf. 

As for the dating world - I may not be single anymore, but I still haven’t forgotten the unspoken rules.  Even when you go out with a guy for the first time around, as a woman, you’re not going to order the lobster or the Chilean sea bass on those first couple of dates.  HOWEVER, if you’re a man on a date, chances are, you’ll be more inclined to order such a meal to show-off that “money ain’t a thang.”  Ladies, just enjoy the lobster at your next family gathering.

Ya’ll know what I mean, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ThoughtZ!