July 19, 2011

Polkadot Cupcake Shop - Special Offer!

For those of you who haven't yet tried Fair Lawn-resident Arlene Altshuler's cupcakes, you're definitely missing out!  She started her own business called Polkadot Cupcake Shop, where you can purchase the cupcakes online and at Giovanni's Deli in Fair Lawn, NJ.  So when you go in for a #57, be sure to get a tasty treat on the way out!


I had a chance to sit down with Arlene and ask her a few questions about her entrepreneurial endeavor:

ZlataThoughts: When did you decide to open up your own cupcake shop?
I've been baking for friends and family events for years and always thought of it as a hobby until more and more people started saying I should do something with it. I finally realized there wasn't much to lose and started the process about 3 months ago. It's been SO much fun!

ZlataThoughts: Where is it located?
I will eventually have a storefront but as for now, the shop address is www.polkadotcupcakeshop.com It's a web order/delivery service. I deliver to NJ/NY metro area for a small delivery fee. I also allow for pickups if the customer prefers. Orders can be picked up from my North NJ location in the evenings and on weekends. Most orders (depending on size) can also be picked up from my daytime midtown NYC location.


ZlataThoughts: How many cupcakes do you make in a given week?
It really depends on the week since it's all made-to-order.  Last week was close to 300 with two events and private orders. This week with no events planned, I'm looking at close to 100 for private orders. 


ZlataThoughts: Do you use any special ingredients?
McDonald's has their secret sauce... I have my secrets as well ;)


ZlataThoughts: Do you make special made-to-order cupcakes?
Yes, everything is made-to-order, and all the cupcakes on the menu can be mixed and matched to a customer's liking. There is a 'standard' design for all of them, but they are all customizable for the event, as the customer requests. Usually customers will say I have a kids birthday that's a dinosaur theme or the bridal shower color is purple, and I'll just run with it, but others have more specific designs in mind... both types are welcome.


ZlataThoughts: What has your biggest order been?
This past Sunday, I participated in the Astoria Market in Queens... 170 cupcakes, six different kinds, made in one afternoon; sold in just three hours!!


ZlataThoughts: How long have you been open?
It's brand new... Polkadot Cupcake Shop has been open for business since March 28.
And take a look at these delicious yummies!!!








I would literally GUT someone open and hang them out to dry for one of these cupcakes right now -- especially the chocolate peanut butter one!  After my wedding, I'm definitely going to request a shipment down to South Florida...let's hope she can deliver!

Being a fan of the blog, Arlene has graciously decided to offer readers a SPECIAL when mentioning "ZlataThoughts" with their order!  Polkadot Cupcake Shop is offering a free 12-pack of mini-red velvet cupcakes (a $9 value!) when mentioning "ZlataThoughts" with your order.  Being a fan of the blog, Arlene has graciously decided to honor this SPECIAL!

Enjoy everyone - and tell me all about your experience!

For more information, visit: www.polkadotcupcakeshop.com or email Arlene!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your ThoughtZ!