December 18, 2012

EaZy Speak: Instagram New Terms and Conditions

Instagram debuted new privacy policy and terms of service  yesterday. The changes are going into effect on January 16th and will not apply to any pictures that you've shared before that date. Rumors that Facebook and Instagram have plans to put ads into Instagram's app are running rampant, but either platform has yet to provide details.

For those of you who were too lazy to read it - or didn't have the patience to read it, here's some eaZy speak for you:

  1. Instagram is able to share information about you with Facebook, in addition to outside advertisers. Basically, advertisers in FB's network will use your data and information from Instagram to find out deets about your fave places to eat, things to do, stores to shop at, etc.  They'll probably read your captions and/or hashtags for this information.
  2. YOU MIGHT BE FAMOUS! Instagram will be able to use your photos and identities in ads. They say "You agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you." OKAY....so you're famous, but like, not getting any cash flow all up in your bank account.
  3. Those sneaky guys don't have to tell you if an ad is an ad. "...we may  not always identify paid services, sponsored content, or commercial communications as such."
  4. Over it '12? The only way to get out of the new terms set forth by Instagram is to delete the app and say bye to Instagram forever. If you log into the service, you thereby agree to have your content used in advertisements.

So that's it. Everything else stays the same. Personally, I don't think this is luda at all. Everything else we engage in is pretty public - well, me anyway. I don't make my Facebook profile private because I want to give everyone the opportunity to engage in my inappropriateness. I don't make my tweets private for the very same reason. So Instagram isn't going to pay me for my photography skills in some ads they run? Whatever, no biggie. It's a small price to pay and the least I can do in appreciation of the creation of "lo fi" filters for my images.

THOUGHTZ?




2 comments:

  1. THIS IS CRAZY. I don't want someone using a picture of me and my booboo all over the place for their ads. I only post pictures of me and my booboo so I don't know what ads they could use us for. I love my booboo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your ThoughtZ!