Looking for fun ways to go green this summer? You’d be surprised how easy it is. Below are five ideas that will help kick-off summer on the right foot while making a positive impact on the environment.
- BIKE TO WORK ON AN ELECTRIC BIKE – Enjoy the summer weather and bike to work - using an electric bike! Biking to work can be a bit of a commitment, especially when you’re not sure if you’re going to be too tired to pedal home after a long day – the solution…an electric bike! They go up to 20 MPH on ionized batteries and allow for the option of pedaling or cruising using the battery. Unlike motor scooters, no special licenses are needed. Take a look at the fun colors of Jetson’s e-Bikes at www.jetsonbike.com.
- NOURISH SUMMER SKIN WITH NATURAL PRODUCTS – While summer brings lots of time for fun in the sun, it’s important to remember to take care of your skin from the season’s damaging effects. Natural ingredient SPF products are great for protecting skin without the harsh chemicals. Antioxidants repair skin from damages caused by chlorine in pools and dehydration from heat and salt water. Derma e® has an extensive line of natural skin care products from moisturizers with SPF to hydrating serums. Check out more at www.dermae.com.
- DO A SUMMER STAY-CATION – Skip the gas guzzling road trip and plan a staycation this summer! Why should tourists have all the fun? Explore your city as if you were from out of town. Check out your local visitor’s bureau Website to re-discover your city and do the day-trips you always planned on doing but never seem to find the time for.
- USE DEET-FREE BUG SPRAY – Pesky bug bites can ruin a perfectly good summer hike or day at the beach. It’s important to wear bug spray to not only avoid the itching bites, but also for protection from dangerous diseases the bugs might carry, like Lyme disease. Just make sure your spray is DEET-free. DEET is the most common active ingredient in bug sprays and studies have shown that DEET causes brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats after frequent and prolonged use. Instead try a natural, effective option like La Fresh’s All-Natural DEET-Free Insect Repellent Wipes, which repel bugs, insects, mosquitoes and ticks. Since they’re wipes they’re easy to apply and you won’t have to carry a clunky spray bottle or aerosol can. Good for you and the environment. Find them here: http://lafreshgroup.com/natural-insect-repellent-48ct.html.
- GO LOCAL – START SHOPPING AT FARMER’S MARKETS – Trade your grocery cart for a recyclable bag, leave the fluorescent lights for an open air market and experience the fresh produce and artisan food at your local farmer’s market. Summer is the best time for produce, from gorgeous heirloom tomatoes to juicy peaches and plums to luscious and aromatic berries, your local farmers bring the freshest ingredients for your summer table. From the basic fruit stands to the most elaborate festival-like plazas, the farmer’s market is a great way to spend a weekend morning with the family or on your own sampling the best of summer foods. So why not, put money into your local economy while enjoying healthier produce that has been allowed to reach its peak of ripeness before being picked. For more information, visit http://farmersmarketcoalition.org.